Friday, May 6, 2011

A Poem After My Own Heart

I went to Greenville last night where I attended the Chris Carter Memorial Golf Tournament pre-party and danced until my legs were sore.  Then, being the overachieving mother that I am, I got up extra early to drive an hour and twenty minutes west to get back to Raleigh to go to Crawford’s Mother’s Day Breakfast in her second grade class.

It warmed my heart when I slipped into the classroom and Crawford and I locked eyes – her huge grin made the effort worthwhile. 

Each child and mother went to the front of the classroom and the child read a poem he or she had written for the mom while the mom sat in a rocking chair and listened.  The poems were heartfelt and sweet.  One boy told his mom that “her beautiful eyes could win a prize.”  I sat there just wondering what sweet sentiments my daughter had penned for me.

When the teacher got to the R’s we went to the front.  With all eyes on us Crawford began her Mother’s Day tribute to me.  After a couple of sweet sentences she said, “I will love you for ever and ever and ever… but if you ask me to do the laundry the answer is NEVER”  (Yes, imagine her saying “never” with passion).

Her Mother’s Day poem to me was a perfect example of the anonymous quote, “Children are natural mimics who act like their parents despite every effort to teach them good manners.” 

The child I carried in my body for nine months – who the Lord brought into this world on March 23, 2003 – chose to interject humor into her poem.  While others may think she was just being silly, I realize that she is already aware, at the ripe age of eight, that I appreciate humor in everything. 

She may have made a joke about laundry rather than telling me my “smile brightens the room,” but I have never felt more loved or more understood.

Happy Mother’s Day!

1 comment:

  1. Great piece---and a fantastic sentiment from Crawford!

    Happy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete