Thursday, May 12, 2011

My Silent Heroes

I have found that I am so thankful for the people in my life who help make each and every day just a little bit brighter.  These are not always people who I am close with, but those who, unbeknownst to them, truly make things better for me daily.  I have decided that I need to make it my goal to thank these silent heroes every chance I get.

For example, I woke up this morning and sat up in my bed with a smile on my face because my room was clean and I could see my bathroom which had a clean counter.  I know I pay my maid service to clean my house, but if they only knew how thankful I am when I wake up to a clean house or see the towel hung on the rack with the monogram facing out.  It may seem that something so simple would not make a difference, but it does.

Another one of my silent heroes is the Starbucks barista who knows how to spell my name.  I realize that Valerie can be tough, but come on…  I have seen it spelled many different ways, so when one of them actually spells it correctly it makes me smile.  The best part is that because I keep the cup on my desk for most of the morning, I can look at my correctly spelled name as often as I wish and continue to feel happy.

Probably the biggest thank you goes out to my babysitter.  I work many hours and am so thankful that one thing I don’t have to worry about in my life is that my kids are being taken care of.  She could load them up on caffeinated soda and chocolate bars and I still would love her for taking care of the two people who are the most precious to me (oh, we would have a “talk” about the caffeine and chocolate, but the good still outweighs the bad).  It is such a comfort when I get home from work and Crawford begs the sitter to stay for dinner.   To know that she enjoys her so much that she wants her to stay makes it even better.

While my children are most definitely not my “silent heroes,” it is the little things they do that they don’t even realize that make my heart burst at the seams.  My eleven year old son still calls me “Mommy” and although he could stop tomorrow, I am going to eat it up until he decides to quit.  My daughter, who has a TON of my mannerisms, looks at me daily with this look that I cannot figure out.  It’s a look of awe and admiration that I assume she sees every time I look at her.  My son has this habit of telling me things that he KNOWS are bad just to see my reaction.  It’s like he knows that what the person said is bad, but he wants to hear the reassurance from me that it was indeed ugly.  My prayer is that we can keep that open line of communication as long as possible. 

More than anything though it makes me so happy that my children seem to really enjoy being in my presence.  Like the other night when the bad storm came through Raleigh about 11pm… both kids woke up and came and got into my bed.  Warren was on one side and Crawford was curled up with her head on my leg on the other side.  As we waited out the storm, I savored every second of having both of my babies so close to me.  God sent that thunderstorm and brought my kids closer to me… even for just those few minutes. 

Which brings me to my ultimate and number one silent hero – God.  He doesn’t ask for much, but he gives SO MUCH.  He gave everything for me and you.  If I could only repay Him for the joy He brings into my life each day – through my housekeepers, the Starbucks barista, my babysitter, my children and everyone that I come into contact with thoughout each day.  He may be a silent hero, but He talks to me through every breathing second and I need to remember to thank Him constantly for all of my many blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment